Saturday 28 September 2013

Harmony Comes in Many Colours...

Harmony--Conventional Collage
STRATA: n., pl. stra•ta (ˈstreɪ tə, ˈstræt ə) stra•tums.
1. a layer of material, naturally or artificially formed, often formed one upon another.

How could I take this concept and turn it into a collage? Would I be able to harmonize the bits and pieces that found their way to me? I needed inspiration...

I went to our local Salvation Army to peruse their used books.  I picked up quite a few, and in the collection was a nearly new copy of "Memoirs of a Geisha". I read the book a long time ago and was enchanted by the movie. The cinematography was breathtaking. I was recently told at work my new position would take time to adjust to because it was like being asked to "learn Japanese".

Again..nudged my my Muse, I put added handmade papers, art papers, and Oriental papers into the design. I found a spot illustration of a Geisha a long time ago and filed it away in the "maybe I will use this someday..." box of art papers. She found a home at last. I also used a Chinese wood block and ink. The character is "Harmony". I stamped it on tissue paper which was sheer enough to paste over the Geisha image.

The Japanese type is from an ad I found in a magazine. I also used a story, the black and white text, from the same issue.

When I finished, I did feel that Harmony was the key to this collage. The colours seemed to blend even better than I hoped they would. 

Harmony...the word is simple...but means so much more. Harmony in Life, in Art, in Work. Isn't that what we are all striving for? I think the Muse would agree.