Monday 21 October 2013

Mother Nature & The Seasons...

Demeter Goddess of Nature
Autumn is a time of reflection for me...the changing of the Seasons, the shorter days and longer nights..the brisk nip in the air.

The theme of my collage was to explore "Nature" and to incorporate at least one image transfer. I looked through my collection of photocopies and kept coming back to a palmistry hand...palm open with descriptions marked for guidance.

But what would be a good match to a hand? I thought about the changing of the Seasons. I thought about how so many cultures celebrate the seasons through the eyes of a Mother Nature Goddess. And that is when I remembered the Greek Goddess Demeter.

I started with the hand. The photocopy was transferred to a canvas board. I added Distress Inks to the background using masks and a variety of wax resists. Through the use of stencils...both "home made" and Punchinella...I completed the background with metallic acrylic paint.

With the background finished, I added the image of Demeter. As she is associated with the fertile earth, I surrounded her with flowers and butterflies.

I very much enjoyed the project...and finished it during the Full Moon.

Goddess, Muse, Spirit...each brings a gift of change and delight for every Season.