Saturday 11 January 2014

Life is a Game...Break The Rules!!!!

Life Is A Game - ATC
Is life a game?

Inspired by the Grand Circle Corporation book of quotes, I chose to illustrate seven of the twenty lines from a passage attributed to Mother Teresa. Artist Trading Card three is "Life Is A Game...Play It".

Bill Bernbach, one of advertising's most influential people, said: "Rules are what the artist breaks; the memorable never emerged from a formula."  And break the rules he did with a lifetime of  ingenious ad campaigns, including Volkswagen's "Think small" and "You don't have to be Jewish to love Levy's"  for Levy's rye bread. I can still see myself as a young girl standing on the corner of 43 Street and 13 Avenue in Brooklyn thinking "Wow" as I stared up at the Levy's poster. Bill Bernbach's work, to this day, inspires my creative journey.

The substrate for the card is illustration board. I covered the background with Distress Inks and acrylic paint. I also rubber stamped and stencilled the card with metallic acrylic paint. I added printed text, handmade paper and the wrapper from a Hershey's Kiss.  The vintage Pierrot, which is as close as I will ever get to a clown, completed the card.

In life, as in Art, inspiration comes to us in many forms...if we are open to see it. We play the game of life uniquely, bringing our own interpretations to each and every situation. Success is allowing our Muse to guide us to new dream-filled possibilities.

So, is life a game? Are we all players taking part and playing by the rules...or are we rule breakers?