Saturday 1 November 2014

What is Essential to You?

Han's Richter's Dada XYZ 1948
As a creative person, what is essential to you?  "XYZ", an Artist Trading Card call from the Carlisle Arts Learning Center in Carlisle, PA. had me thinking. My Muse was on hiatus. I felt stranded when I opened my book on the Dada Movement, and received inspiration from Hugo Ball's Sound Poems.

It was what I needed to kick-start me into action. So it felt natural to explore the world of Dada through the eyes of other members. And what could be more appropriate than to read Hans Richter's "Dada XYZ".  The piece opens with: "I never understood Hugo Ball very well."

I photocopied the photo of Hans Richter and attached it to illustration board. The text in the background is Richter's thoughts written in 1948. It is published in Robert Motherwell's anthology of Dada writings, The Dada Painters and Poets. I finished the card with sponged metallic acrylic paint. At the end of the exhibit this card will also be traded.

Inspired by the Dadaists, not understanding is the essential quality I look for in Art and in Life. Not understanding keeps me thinking...keeps me investigating...keeps my lines to my Muse open. And when I do finally understand, even if not fully, it can lead me to some very interesting, unexpected and inspiring places.

My question to you is...what is Essential to You?