Sunday 29 March 2015

Are You That Woman?

Strong Women - Collage On A Tag
On March 8th every year we celebrate International Women's Day. With this event in mind, the March Tag Swap I joined was a celebration of women...in all our glory!

"Make it Happen" is the 2015 theme, encouraging effective action for the advancement and recognition women in all walks of life. I am delighted to see that purple is the official colour used in commemoration of the Women's Suffrage Movement, for which I have a deep appreciation.

In my life, the strongest women I know are the ones who elevate other women to be the best they can be.  They are the supportive, nurturing souls who are there to catch you when you fall and lift you up to even greater heights in celebration of your victories. I am sure you have them in your life as well.

As I started working on the Tag I came across a photo of two women seated together. I wondered...could they have been as enamoured of the Suffragettes as I am?

The substrate I used for the Tag is illustration board. The background is Citra-Solv paper from a magazine article about women. I added the vintage photo, a doily, a blossoming flower, wax infused paper, text clipped from a magazine, and finished off with sponged and stencilled metallic acrylic paint in various colours. The Tag is now on its way to a new home in California.

As artists, we can "make it happen"...not only through our work, but by being that strong woman we adore having in our lives. So, my question is...Are you "that" woman?