Monday 20 February 2017

Changing The World...One Postcard At A Time!



“Through art we can change the world.” - David Sandum

I’m sure you’ll agree…the world is going through some extremely tough times. And as strange as this may sound, when things seem just a little too intense for me I enjoy wandering through a supermarket. My local A&P was always a favourite. And when I moved to England my supermarket of choice was Morrisons. Regardless of the location, the ambiance was reassuringly identical and delightfully soothing. Is it the orderly rows of merchandise, the bright colours of the packaging, or even the Muzak that charms me? I really don’t have an answer. I just know I enjoy wandering, most of the time aimlessly, through the aisles. I guess you could call it my version of “retail therapy”.

Searching through my collection of ephemera for inspiration, my eye caught a vintage image of a woman pushing her overflowing cart. Like me, she had to be an A&P shopper. There was the clue.  My favorite: Eight O’clock Coffee…the original DIY lovers’ coffee…ground to your own specification in the machine conveniently placed in the aisle.

I wanted to place the woman on a background that would scream “SALE!!” I took another look at one of my favourite stencils, Artistcellar’s “Celestial” from the Arabian Nights series. I built two versions on heavy white paper using a variety of colours. In the end I had two distinct looks. I decided to use the lighter, brighter one as a background.  Having an assortment of choices at my fingertips so quickly and easily is the hallmark of Artistcellar products.

Working wholly conventionally this time I cut and glued my photos, text and sections from handwritten shopping lists I “procured” from a parking lot to the card. Creating this way was just as therapeutic as my supermarket stroll!

Soon the finished piece will be on its way to Twitter Art Exhibit. Founder David Sandum began the project in 2010 using social media and global public engagement to generate income for charities and nonprofits. Artists donate postcard sized work to #TAE for sale. At an exhibition the art is sold. The chosen organisation receives 100% of the proceeds.

This year TAE17 is supporting Molly Olly’s Wishes in Stratford upon Avon, UK. The organisation compassionately assists children with terminal or life threatening illnesses and their families. Their goal is to help maintain emotional well-being for those undergoing extremely difficult times. My challenges in no way compare to those facing these children and their families.  But my hope is that with my card we can share a smile and the relaxation of my supermarket meanderings.

Why not spread the healing spirit of Artistcellar? There is still time to enter as registration closes on February 24th. Your postcard must be in the hands of #TAE17 no later than March 17th. For more information follow this link: http://twitterartexhibit.org/

As artists, inspiration surrounds us…even in the most unlikely places…such as a supermarket. But with our unique brand of creativity we can change the world…one postcard at a time.

MATERIALS USED:
  • ARTISTCELLAR STENCILS: ARABIAN NIGHTS – CELESTIAL
  • ACRYLIC PAINT
  • REEVES: Rose Red
  • CRAFTSMART: Sea Mist Pearl
  • DECO ART: Peacock Pearl, Champagne Gold, Sunny Day
  • PLAID FOLK ART: Sunflower, Inca God, Bright Red, Amethyst
  • 90lb WHITE POSTCARD PAPER
  • VINTAGE & CONTEMPORARY ADS
  • FOUND SHOPPING LISTS