Thursday 8 June 2017

What are YOU Curious About?

“Never lose a holy curiosity.” -  Albert Einstein
Have you tried Art Journaling on playing cards? I enjoyed it so much I decided to continue with the project. I suppose my curiosity got the better of me.

Inspired by the saying “In The Moment” I found printed in a catalogue I made it my goal. I prepped the cards by lightly sanding them and then giving them a coat of gesso. I placed all of the cards face up on my table and began randomly layering acrylic paint. Whatever colours came to hand I used. Once dried, I flipped to the back and began working. I love the new Tibet Series by Artistcellar. I wanted to incorporate the Eternal Knot stencil in some way. Although too large to completely fit on a playing card, when dropped here and there on the cards the stencil certainly added interest.

It’s been a long time since I looked through my collection of rubber stamps and clings. The Curious Possibility clings by Tim Holtz was just perfect for what I had in mind! Combined with a few images I had in my collection I got just the right Victorian vibe I wanted. 

Many artists like to cover the images printed on the playing cards completely. I like to allow the flavor of the card to show through where possible, lending interest additional design elements.

To complete this series I highlighted portions of the back design with Tim Holtz Distress Crayons and DecoArt Crackle Paste. 
 
One word of advice: I used my heat tool to get the layers to dry faster. I believe I got a little too close as one of the cards “popped” and buckled. My guess is the plastic coating just didn’t like the heat.

As artists curiosity is the force that inspires us to create new work. Journaling was always a bit of a mystery to me. I suppose for me it’s “in the cards” using this technique. My question to you: What are you curious about?

MATERIALS USED:
STANDARD PLAYING CARDS
ARTISTCELLAR STENCILS: Tibet Series, Traditional Japanese Series, Marked Series, Block Series, Halftone Dots Series, Sea Foam
TIM HOLTZ VISUAL ARTISTRY CURIOUS POSSIBILITY Rubber Stamps
STUDIO G Alphabet Rubber Stamps
HAND CUT STENCIL: Diamonds
PUNCHINELLA
ELMER’S RUBBER CEMENT
LIQUITEX WHITE ACRYLIC GESSO
LIQUITEX MATTER MEDIUM
DECOART Crackle Paste
MEMENTO DYE INK Tuxedo Black
PLAID ACRYLICS: Blue Sapphire, Amethyst, Blue Pearl, Pure Orange, Perfect Purple, Violet Pansy, Sunflower, Metallic Rose, Bright Red, Aquamarine, Pure Gold, Plum
DECOART: Splendid Gold, Sunny Day
DINA WAKLEY: Lime
NATURAL SPONGE
SANDPAPER
TIM HOLTZ DISTRESS CRAYONS
DYLUSION SPRAY: Bubble Gum
POCKET PAGE PROTECTOR
VARIOUS EPHEMERA: Paper, Rubber Stamps, Dover Publications Images, Rub-On Lettering