Thursday 3 August 2017

In The Realm of the Unconventional

“Knowledge is ultimately available to everyone. Only true intuition, jumping from knowledge to an idea, is yours and yours alone.” – Bill Bernbach
As artists are we naturally drawn to unconventional conduct? Are we guided by intuition to a life without limits? Are we passionate to share our experiences? Is there something in our makeup that emboldens us to reach further than we thought we ever could?

I started my collage with a photo. I have been looking for a place in my work for the image of the women reading. As a fellow bibliophile I recognise the bliss of total absorption in a book. For a background I flipped through a vintage book in my collection. After tearing out a couple of pages from the index I saw the words “Unconventional conduct”. Could the women be reading a work that would change their destiny? Why not?

My substrate is illustration board. I primed it with a coat of gesso. When dried I attached the book pages using matte medium and added one final coat of tinted Mod Podge. I gave the board twenty-four hours of drying time as the pages were especially thick and absorbent.

After framing the work with Rose Red acrylics, still embracing my messy side, I began the stencilling process with one of my favourites, the Halftone Dots series. The layers quickly built as I added a variety of stencil patterns to the collage finishing with the map of one of the most unconventional cities on the planet, Paris, from Artistcellar’s Old World Maps series. Although the stencil has many fine cut outs representing the meandering streets, clean up was easy with no damage at all, ready for many future projects.
To read, to seek, to know...this is the stuff that drives our creative spirit. And as an artist isn’t our calling to follow our intuition whenever it may lead? The realm of the unconventional is where our souls bloom. How will you release the magic of your imagination?

MATERIALS USED