Wednesday 13 December 2017

Just For Today...

At this time of year our thoughts naturally gravitate to those we care about and how we can make the Holidays sparkle just for them. And there is no better gift, in my opinion, than one you make yourself. I recently picked up a lovely white silk scarf and took design inspiration from the Artistcellar Chakra Pocket stencils for my next Design Team project.

A close friend has been attending an annual women’s retreat for the last twenty-five years. For her, it is a time to reflect and rejuvenate. As they have the numerous opportunities to meditate throughout the weekend, I wanted to give her something special to take along the next time she attends.

I started the project by spraying repositionable adhesive on to a piece of poster board. When sufficiently tacky, I carefully unrolled the scarf. I have found that this is a great method of keeping fabric in position, allowing you to work without worry.
The Artistcellar pocket stencils are the perfect size for so many projects. The Chakra stencils performed perfectly. I placed each one under the other in the correct position. I was delighted that this formation easily covered half of the scarf, just as I intended. I applied the associated colours to the correct Chakra from violet to red.

My friend is crazy about colour...appreciating it in everything from rows of yarn in a shop to the dancing dispersion of light through a prism. Keeping this in mind, once each colour dried I stencilled the Halftone Dots with abandon in an array of acrylic colours moving from cool purples to fiery scarlets and every shade in-between. Adding sparkle and magic I sponged on gold and bronze dots down the length of the scarf.
Once complete, I slowly peeled the scarf from the poster board. I was happy to see the acrylics bled through leaving each side equally bright and visually pleasing. The scarf still maintained a soft and airy feel to the touch, a quality I love about silk.

While creating the scarf, the Chakras allowed my senses to experience the beauty of serenity and peace. This is the gift I wish to offer my friend…even just for today.

MATERIALS USED: