Saturday 21 April 2012

For every thing there is a season…


I am a graduate of the York Academy of Arts, York Pennsylvania.

Although not a large school, it was rich with the devotion and determination artists bring to their work. We were fortunate enough to be taught by “working artists” who shared their passion with us and encouraged us to find our own way.

It is with great sadness that I learned today of the death of Ted Fitzkee.

Mr. Fitzkee was an extraordinary painter, artist, and educator. With humour he guided us through our drawing and painting courses. He brought the best out of each of us. He encouraged us to be true to what drove us to become artists. He stressed the importance of treating Art as a business, one that could feed our bodies and souls.

I will always remember him walking into our Studio at the Academy with a ladder and saying: “Hi. My name’s Mike. I hear you have a ceiling that needs to be painted.”

Thanks, Mr. Fitzkee…for sharing your warmth, humour, passion for the arts, and for helping to make me the artist, both visual and performing, I am today.