Sunday 19 May 2013

Somewhere...Beyond The Sea...

"Ocean Dreams"
Whenever I hear Bobby Darin sing "Beyond The Sea" my mind instantly is drawn to memories of Summer days on the beach at Coney Island. Everything about the song is perfect...the melody...the lyrics. The song always takes my mind and heart running back to a wonderful childhood in Brooklyn.

When I found out about The 1001 Journals Project I quickly signed up. The concept is great. To quote the website: "1001 Journals is an online community for people who enjoy writing, creating art, photography, and sharing their creations. Using three different journal types (traveling, location, and personal) users are able to share their thoughts with users around the world."

This page is from the "Ocean Dreams" Journal. I couldn't wait to start working on it. With Brighton Beach and  altered with handmade and found paper, postcards, stamps, old photos.

I've always loved the idea of a message in a bottle. In many ways, altering the journal and sending it on its' way is the same. I wonder if any of the 1001 Journals will end up in a time capsule?

Wouldn't that be a wonderful way to see our art survive!