Wednesday 4 January 2017

When Dreams Take Flight

When Dreams Take Flight
I had a creatively delightful start to 2017. I received an incredible box of Artistcellar inspiration. Included were the new Chakras 2 Series stencils.  They were impeccably timed.

As with many people I know, I am still trying to make sense of the events of 2016 and see a positive way forward for 2017. I believe this is the reason I was instantly drawn to stunning Sanskrit Om stencil.

If you have ever taken yoga class or tried to find out more about spirituality, I am sure you have heard the sound “Om”. I have read that many believe the resonant tone of Om is the vibration of creation. It is considered the first sound to come from silence.

The symbol of Om visually resembles the essence of Ganesha, the Hindu elephant god, with serpentine curves mimicking his body and trunk. Ganesha is the Lord of good fortune and auspicious beginnings.  But most importantly, he is considered the remover of spiritual and material obstacles. For me, Ganesha has always been a favourite deity. His story of perseverance and faith encouraged me to embrace the power to redefine the course of my life on many occasions.

Om is also a “seed” mantra and is related to the Third Eye the Sixth chakra. Exploring this chakra, your energy to "see" clearly is heightened. Looking at the stencil, you can't help but notice petals in the shape of wings as part of the design. The Third Eye renews our ability to view the world and ourselves with hope for the possibilities of life...allowing our spirit to soar.

And most importantly, your Third Eye is the window to experiencing the feelings of others from their perspective…to revive our ability to empathize with those we meet.

I couldn’t wait to start my next collage. I’ve had my eye on a beautiful piece of marbleized rice paper. It was waiting for the right project. And I knew this was it! I lightly traced the Om and Third Eye stencils on to a page of my new Strathmore Watercolour Visual Journal and completed them using the Twinkling H20s paints and my ever handy Koi Water Brush. The finished effect was just as I had hoped…shimmering, rich colour in peaceful hues of indigo and violet.

I wanted to add straight edged elements to compliment the organic Om and Third Eye designs. I applied the same technique to a series of diamond shapes I had cut into Mylar sometime back. I decided to add the Traditional Japanese Ocean Waves stencil as well, taking it from my library of images safely kept in my Strathmore Mixed Media Visual Journal. Once everything was dry it was time to scan and build my collage.
I relaxed into working with the elements, allowing the serene sensation of mindfulness to wash over me. The collage came together quickly…almost as if each image knew where they would look best. The wings of the Third Eye allowed me to just go with it…to trust and create from a place of tranquility.

And there it was, my collage inspired by a series of synchronistic events: the release of the Artistcellar Chakra 2 Series and the arrival of the stencils and supplies at the time I needed them most. Perhaps 2017 will be a year of new beginnings… with Ganesha clearing the way, allowing our dreams to take flight.