Thursday 24 May 2018

ABRACADABRA! The Magic in You!

“I am a great admirer of mystery and magic. Look at this life. All mystery and magic.” - Houdini

Do you believe in magic? Are you intrigued as I am by stage magicians? Even if I know the secret to the trick, I still relish the performance. Mystery and magic. I can’t get enough of it.

For my next Artistcellar Design Team project I wanted to experiment with a supply I haven’t used in a long time. I have always enjoyed adding embossing powders to my art. There is something about the magical transformation from powder to a liquid metal effect that I find sublime. I recently purchased a set of Seth Apter’s Baked Texture Embossing powders. With delicious names like Chunky Rust, and Vintage Beeswax I couldn’t wait to create with them.
My other recent obsession is image transfers. I have been attaching images to an array of papers. Although they widely vary, it's interesting to see the final results. When they work, it’s like holding a bit of magic in your hand. Most of my transfers have been produced from photocopies of engravings. The line work holds well to the substrate. I wanted to try a halftone photo. I decided to try my luck with a photo of a woman in a top hat I saw in a book. Because I wanted a transparent finish I transferred the photo to a tea bag. After a bit of soaking and rubbing, I was pleased with the results.Her magnificent tuxedo and top hat sparked my curiosity. I could imagine her backstage, ready to share an evening of illusion and misdirection to an enraptured audience.
Using an old library book cover for the substrate I began the collage. I glued a piece of joss paper to the cover and layered the image transfer on top. While it was drying, I covered a selection of papers with embossing ink using my Open Work stencil from the Blocks series. I especially liked the colour and texture I got from the Ancient Amber powder on the tea bag.
I also tried the powders on a piece of parchment paper. As the powder set, they lifted from the paper and I glued them to the design as free standing jewels. I liked the old carnival poster effect of the piece. I completed the work with tissue paper from my last project, a bit of French newspaper I covered with Vintage Beeswax powder, and papers infused with real beeswax.
Every time I create I dive into all that is magical and mysterious. The magic has been the discovery of a new way to use a supply. The mystery often times is just the process of creation. My hope is that you follow your inspired heart. It can guide you to places and people who will forever enchant your life.

 MATERIALS USED:
  • ARTISTCELLAR STENCILS: HALFTONE DOTS, BLOCK SERIES (Open Work)
  • HANDCUT DIAMOND STENCIL
  • PLAID ACRYLICS: Sunflower, Inca Gold
  • DECOART: Sunny Day, Blue Harbor, Sea Glass, Desert Turquoise
  • DYLUSIONS PAINT: Vibrant Turquoise, Cut Grass, Fresh Lime, London Blue, Crushed Grape, Squeezed Orange, Bubblegum Pink, Postbox Red
  • DINA WAKLEY ACRYLICS: Blushing
  • REEVES: Bronze, Gold
  • SETH APTER - EMERALD CREEK EMBOSSING POWDER (Ancient Amber, Chunky Rust, Vintage Beeswax, Patina Oxide)
  • STAMPENDOUS CLEAR EMBOSSING INK
  • LIQUITEX MATTE MEDIUM
  • NATURAL SPONGE
  • PAINTER’S TAPE
  • HEAT GUN
  • TISSUE PAPER
  • JOSS PAPER
  • WAX INFUSED PAPER
  • VINTAGE FRENCH NEWSPAPER
  • LASER PHOTOCOPY  
  • HARDBACK BOOK COVER