Thursday 9 November 2017

Finding The Right One

Words matter, and the right words matter most of all. In the end they’re all that remain of us.”  – John Birmingham

I relish layering in artwork…colour on texture on paper on ink on paint. You never know what the outcome will be, but the journey can be enough. And as much as I love surprises in the visual arts, I also love words. They too can carry you on an elaborate voyage of discovery…with twists and turns as you search for just the right word for the right moment.

For my next Artistcellar Design Team project I primed illustration board with gesso and attached an old dictionary page. When dry, I covered the center with a mixture of Splendid Gold acrylic that I thinned with glazing liquid. I surrounded the gold with Bubble Gum Dylusion Spray. Rather than use the pump spray, I brushed it on. The spray colours are great and hold their hue regardless of the surface they are painted on, or how they are applied. I wouldn’t be without them. My next step was to add rubber stamp images. I chose both a typewriter and calligraphic stamp and a dye ink to minimise bleed.
Some time ago I added Quentin Matsys’ painting “The Money Changer and His Wife” to my collection of paper bits and pieces. It was printed in a newspaper and I really liked the saturated colour on the newsprint. I chose to use only the woman and her open book in the collage.
With such a variety of designs it is can be a challenge to choose just one Artistcellar stencil. I decided to start with the Quilt. This stencil comes in two sizes, which allows so much freedom when planning your work. The Pocket Stencil was the perfect size for my collage, and what a wonderful foil for Quasicrystal Infra. Large or small, Artistcellar stencils are instrumental when you are looking to give your work a unique edge. You’ll always find just the right one for your project. I continued layering the stencils, with the final image as you see here, surrounding the woman with letters and words. Will she find the right ones to narrate her story? I wonder...
Finding just the “right one”…be it an image, a colour, or a word can be perplexing. But what a marvellous feeling of accomplishment when you do! And sharing the right word layered with the right sentiment is an incredible way to immortalise the sweet story of our lives.

MATERIALS USED: