Monday 27 November 2017

The Magical Sparkle of "Thank You"

If the only prayer you ever say is ‘Thank You’ that will be enough.” – Eckhart Tolle
 
Looking out over our frost kissed lawn has been a not so gentle reminder that Winter is on the way. But rather than curse the cold, I embraced the sparkle and shine as inspiration for my next Artistcellar Design Team project.

Working with my favourite substrate, Illustration Board, I covered the surface with a smooth coat of gesso. The next layer added was an article about the Dada Movement printed on slightly yellowed newsprint paper. There was a little bit of bleed when I covered the print with Matte Medium. I liked the way the ink became bolder in certain areas as it dried. Looking for a bit of texture, I mopped on white gesso with a rough natural sponge. My board took on a white, frosty appearance … exactly as I had hoped it would. Slow to dry completely, I left it out overnight and in the morning I was ready to begin.

I wanted the look of lace for my background. Artistcellar’s Quasicrystal stencil Quasi, was perfect. I applied the pattern with Champagne metallic acrylic. Combined with the white gesso, it gave me the nostalgic effect I was after.

I’ve had the image of the two women kicking around my scrap box for some time, and I knew this was the perfect setting for them. I only wish I knew who they were and the reason for the photo. They do look happy to be sharing time together. Perhaps I could create an interesting history for them with the elements I had at hand.

I have been winterising the flower beds around the house and salvaged a few dried hydrangea blossoms. The colour was perfect and the petals held up well when glued to the board. My finishing touch was the series of jewelry tags, covered in liquid acrylic and a few Halftone Dots.
As the seasons blend one into the other, I know I am guilty of allowing the daily mechanics of existence to dull the sparkle and shine of living life mindfully. With the celebration of Thanksgiving I am reminded that a simple “Thank You” has the all the magical sparkle we need.

MATERIALS USED:
  • ARTISTCELLAR STENCILS: QUASICRYSTALS (Quasi & Infra), HALFTONE DOTS
  • INKADINKADO RUBBER STAMP: Moth
  • LIQUITEX WHITE ACRYLIC GESSO
  • LIQUITEX MATTE MEDIUM
  • MEMENTO DYE INK: Tuxedo Black
  • DYLUSION PAINT: Squeezed Orange
  • PLAID: Champagne, Sahara Gold                                      
  • DALER-ROMNEY: Acrylic Ink Velvet Violet
  • DALER-ROMNEY: Liquid Acrylic Galactic Blue
  • NATURAL SPONGE
  • JEWELRY TAGS
  • BEES WAX INFUSED BROWN, ART PAPER, & DOILY
  • COFFEE STAINED GAUZE
  • SURGICAL TAPE
  • DRIED HYDRANGEA PETALS
  • STORE TRADING STAMP
  • VINTAGE IMAGE
  • ILLUSTRATION BOARD