Tuesday 16 April 2013

What Would Julia Do?


Travelling through France by car, I will never forget the incredible, intoxicating scent surrounding me as I neared the South. I had heard and read about garrigue...the heady signature aroma of Provence, but to experience it was more than I ever imagined it could be.

When thinking about "food" as inspiration for art, my first thought was to the warm and delectable food and drink from my travels. And I can't help but connect these flavours to years of watching Julia Child effortlessly whip up her creations on her television programme.

In the collage, I used vintage papers and images. The map was one I collected when travelling in the South of France. The recipe was from an old copy of Mastering the Art of French Cooking.

The  substrate is canvas. It’s been a long time since I have worked on canvas. I forgot how pleasant an experience it can be!

The sights, the smells of Provence...what would Julia do?